Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stephen Butler

The 2020/21 Season

Guest Stephen Butler

First, I’ll put there as a fan and a parent of a HS Wrestler, I hope somehow, some way,  they can get some type of SCHSL Wrestling season in. 

Saying that though, I believe it is very obvious that there is a very real chance that the politics and fear of CV 19 could prevent any HS sports from taking place this year.

While that would be unfortunate, there are some interesting opportunities that could create. 

Several States are already preparing for no HS sanctioned wrestling. There are already large clubs and coaches who are preparing to privatize the upcoming season. 

We could very well see large, independent dual and individual tournaments every weekend. State, Regional , National events....An unintended consequences could actually lead to better wrestling week in and week out at the HS level. 

Just look at the potential for our our own state. Imagine an SCYWA type event every weekend for HS kids, where there is no classifications, just weight brackets. We could potentially see some of the most competitive HS wrestling we have seen in the State. 

Guest guest
2 hours ago, Guest Stephen Butler said:

First, I’ll put there as a fan and a parent of a HS Wrestler, I hope somehow, some way,  they can get some type of SCHSL Wrestling season in. 

Saying that though, I believe it is very obvious that there is a very real chance that the politics and fear of CV 19 could prevent any HS sports from taking place this year.

While that would be unfortunate, there are some interesting opportunities that could create. 

Several States are already preparing for no HS sanctioned wrestling. There are already large clubs and coaches who are preparing to privatize the upcoming season. 

We could very well see large, independent dual and individual tournaments every weekend. State, Regional , National events....An unintended consequences could actually lead to better wrestling week in and week out at the HS level. 

Just look at the potential for our our own state. Imagine an SCYWA type event every weekend for HS kids, where there is no classifications, just weight brackets. We could potentially see some of the most competitive HS wrestling we have seen in the State. 

This idea is currently being tossed around in Ohio. The Ohio Athletic Committee which runs the Ohio Junior High State Tournament is a viable organizing body to run a high school version of junior high state. The issue is where? if a governor closes down facilities then it doesn't matter who runs in because you won't have a gym to put mats in.

Another option I've been told by buddies back home in Ohio is if you're 18 years of age or older you could enter into college open tournaments as an unattached wrestler. Have spoken with several coaches and parents of seniors who have college aspirations that this is a real possibility. Assuming colleges hold tournaments that is.

All of this is just talk right now though.

Guest Stephen Butler

They are already holding tournaments in private venues. Obviously utilizing school facilities is out of the question, but private venues is already happening next month. 

The State/Schools are going to air on the side of ridiculousness, so not expecting much on that front. I don’t think they ever had any intention of kids going back to school in the fall. Al these surveys I’ve gotten.....it’s all smoke.....I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see a sanctioned HS Season. 

Maybe they can run a 2 week season. Or weekend for State Duals. One for individuals! 

Guest Stephen Butler
46 minutes ago, CarolinaHawkeyeFan said:

The problem is facilities to train as there are few private clubs with mats away from the schools in SC.

No question we are at a disadvantage there compared to most states. In the big picture, the lack of quality club/training opportunities outside the HS room is the biggest factor in our top tier depth growing. 

I think that upstate already has options in Darkhorse, The Upstate Mat Assassins, The SCSOW, etc all have facilities not affiliated with a school I believe. 

It’s actually the Lowcountry ( Dorchester, Berkeley, Charleston) that is without that option right now. 

That said, I think that will change. This CV19 is going to highlight the need for these facilities to exist. There are probably more wrestling rooms constructed/converted over the past 4 months then in 3 years in SC. 

Guest TYegge

Dark horse is not open yet, but if kids in the Rock Hill, Fort Mill, Lancaster area are looking for a place to roll they can go to C2X.  It located on the border of Indian Land/Fort Mill and is run by Tom Tanis (EIWA Champion and All-American at Rutgers) and Tim Hennessy (Former Team Captain at Rutgers).  They also have quite a few recent graduates of Division 1 programs that roll with the kids.

Guest Stephen Butler
11 minutes ago, Guest TYegge said:

Dark horse is not open yet, but if kids in the Rock Hill, Fort Mill, Lancaster area are looking for a place to roll they can go to C2X.  It located on the border of Indian Land/Fort Mill and is run by Tom Tanis (EIWA Champion and All-American at Rutgers) and Tim Hennessy (Former Team Captain at Rutgers).  They also have quite a few recent graduates of Division 1 programs that roll with the kids.

Another great option! 

Guest Guest

Junior college season time frame released today: 

-fall practice through October

-practice starting January 1

-competition starting January 20

-Championships end of April 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this