Sign in to follow this  
Guest still bored

Schools w/o a state champ

Guest still bored

Looking through the updated list of individual state champs got me thinking. Which schools who have been around for a while do not have a state champ. By that I mean schools that have had wrestling for at least the last 20 years.

1. Pickens - was VERY surprised that the Blue Flame has never had a state champ. They've had many qualifiers and placers but have yet to put someone on top the podium. This is a program that has been around for a good bit too.

2. Wren - not 100% sure when Wren started their wrestling program but they too have never had a state champ.

3. West Ashley - grant it WA only became a school as of the year 2000 BUT considering they are a combo of Middleton and Saint Andrews I am very surprised they have never had a state champ. 

Side note - saw some schools on scmat that have had a state champ or two but its been a while. Some were really surprising both because of the program and or the amount of time

1. MAULDIN - It was shocking to see that its been basically a generation since the Mavs last state champ in 2003. They are one of the largest schools in the state, have had success in the past, but the last decade and a half basically have not been good to Mauldin.

2. Laurens - for a school that has always been competitive maybe not at a state level but has always been a solid team in their region each year it was shocking to see that the Raiders' last state champ was 1977!!!!!!

3. Seneca - there was a time when the Bobcats were better than Eastside and BHP in the upstate. HOWEVER, Seneca hasn't had a state champ since 2001.

4. James Island - Kind of surprised that JI hasn't had a state champ since 2001.

5. TL Hanna - while not a wrestling school its still surprising that they have not had a state champ since 1984

6. DW Daniel - 1999

7. Lower Richland - 1990

8. Landrum - 1995

9. Conway - 1997

10. AC Flora - 1991

11. Airport - 1994

Guest Neutral Observer

Believe James Island's last state champ was Roddy White of Atlanta Falcons fame. The Rothermel twins were both heavily favored to win state titles for JI about 8 years ago and came awfully close but got upset each year they were in SC. I don't remember any serious state title contenders from T.L. Hanna in the past couple of decades other than Ethington. Which he eventually did get obviously just not at Hanna. Wren has had some solid all around teams in the mid 2000's but never too many outstanding individuals. They did have one heavyweight around 2011 or 2012 that came pretty close his junior year and I believe didn't wrestle his senior year. Some of those teams like Fora and Airport are testaments to  how powerful coaching can be and how quickly that impact can disappear. 

Guest bored
1 hour ago, Guest Neutral Observer said:

Believe James Island's last state champ was Roddy White of Atlanta Falcons fame. The Rothermel twins were both heavily favored to win state titles for JI about 8 years ago and came awfully close but got upset each year they were in SC. I don't remember any serious state title contenders from T.L. Hanna in the past couple of decades other than Ethington. Which he eventually did get obviously just not at Hanna. Wren has had some solid all around teams in the mid 2000's but never too many outstanding individuals. They did have one heavyweight around 2011 or 2012 that came pretty close his junior year and I believe didn't wrestle his senior year. Some of those teams like Fora and Airport are testaments to  how powerful coaching can be and how quickly that impact can disappear. 

I think you're thinking of St. James for the Rothermel boys not James Island. Correct on Roddy White. 

Guest Neutral Observer
18 hours ago, Guest bored said:

I think you're thinking of St. James for the Rothermel boys not James Island. Correct on Roddy White. 

You are 100% right. Got that mixed up. 

Guest still bored
22 hours ago, Guest Neutral Observer said:

With Abernathy running Hanna these days they'll get a state champ fairly soon. Hanna has the money and resources to pump out competitive teams each year, with Lance running the show they hit the jackpot coaching wise. With Wren dropping down to 3A for the next two years they too have the resources and athletes that if they get the right guy in their they could be competitive. You are absolutely right about the impact of coaching on the success of programs.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this