Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wrestling Fan

2020-2021 Season

Recommended Posts

Guest Guest
3 hours ago, Guest Stephen Butler said:

Yes, Gavin is my son and I was proud of his focus this year after missing last year, thank you for the kind words. Hopefully he can continue to grow/get better next year! 
 

You don’t have to sell me on Laprad’s. I wrestled in the late 80’s/Early 90’s when the Laprad’s were probably at their peak. Always had respect for them/their programs/their results. 

Why did Gavin go out instead of Ben Guilliam? I saw they wrestled a close one at the slam but Ben came out on top. Don't get me wrong both had great wins over the season and it seems to be the right call however I was just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Stephen Butler

Ben broke his hand unfortunately in the playoffs. So 3 of our kids shifted down. Gavin could have gone 106 or 113, as he wasn’t a full 113 more a true 106, but had success wrestling duals at 113. . Had Ben not injured his hand I think Gavin would have stayed at 113 and had a great shot of being in the finals , competing for A State Title there. I think Ben would have been right there at 106 as well in that scenario. Anyway Ben was a great partner to have in the practice room for Gavin. 
 

The Slam is such a great event, but also a very early season one. Last year I remember Wilkins TF’d Amaker in that event and that match was obviously much closer in the State Finals. Just one of many examples like that you see. The Slam is done via track and results easily available, allot is based off its results it seems until we get to qualifiers and state to see how things shake out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest
12 hours ago, Guest Stephen Butler said:

Ben broke his hand unfortunately in the playoffs. So 3 of our kids shifted down. Gavin could have gone 106 or 113, as he wasn’t a full 113 more a true 106, but had success wrestling duals at 113. . Had Ben not injured his hand I think Gavin would have stayed at 113 and had a great shot of being in the finals , competing for A State Title there. I think Ben would have been right there at 106 as well in that scenario. Anyway Ben was a great partner to have in the practice room for Gavin. 
 

The Slam is such a great event, but also a very early season one. Last year I remember Wilkins TF’d Amaker in that event and that match was obviously much closer in the State Finals. Just one of many examples like that you see. The Slam is done via track and results easily available, allot is based off its results it seems until we get to qualifiers and state to see how things shake out. 

I'm sorry to hear that. I agree with your opinion of the Slam it is a great event but very early. The winner at 106 Ty Tice lost to Will Hendricks from BHP who did not place at the Slam and I believe one of his losses was to either Gavin or Ben.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Stephen Butler

The Slam is a great event, obvious the deepest in SC. It’s early for all kids, and no one likes to lose, but it’s part of the sport. Im sure Gavin wants nothing more then to win it one time. I think all kids are at different stages at that point in the season. 
 

My sons experience at the slam was honestly in line with what I thought I would see from him early in the season. After having to sit out a year, not competing in multiple years, I knew he would need some time to get himself back in the groove. The Slam was certainly part of that growing process for him this year! 
 

Summerville fortunately keeps Ben, Gavin,  and   Brayton Killiri ( 120 4th ) together for the next couple of years. 
 

The Tice result surprised allot of folks, but it just goes to show you how you can’t doubt anyone. A month before State the 5A 4th Place finisher, Raleigh Dantico, Tech Falled Hendricks. Not many gave  Hendricks much of a chance at beating Tice at state, but we all know the result. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest GUEST-KEEP IT REAL

Next year, its River Bluff and Hillcrest versus the rest of the 5A.   Maybe another upstate team can go with River Bluff next year that isn't Hillcrest but Hillcrest will be the one they have to worry about for the GOLD.  Yall wasting time talking about any other dual teams in 5A.    Summerville, Lexington, and White Koll will be behind River Bluff in 5A Lower but name your order, does it matter (no i am wasting time)?   Hillcrest will reload and be favorites for a 3peat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest
45 minutes ago, Guest GUEST-KEEP IT REAL said:

Next year, its River Bluff and Hillcrest versus the rest of the 5A.   Maybe another upstate team can go with River Bluff next year that isn't Hillcrest but Hillcrest will be the one they have to worry about for the GOLD.  Yall wasting time talking about any other dual teams in 5A.    Summerville, Lexington, and White Koll will be behind River Bluff in 5A Lower but name your order, does it matter (no i am wasting time)?   Hillcrest will reload and be favorites for a 3peat.  

Summerville best RB this year and RB loses more then SV, anything is possible, but I think that is being very optimistic! 
 

Next Year the Greenwave will return to the top where it used to live! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Kept it real

Had River Bluff and Summerville wrestled 10x this year.  River Bluff wins 9 of them.  Summerville had their night when it counted. River Bluff wrestled poorly to say the least.  Is what it is Summerville won’t beat RB next year nor Hillcrest, but neither will any other 5A team.  So have fun talking about the hypothetical  3rd place on this board with all the other green wave fans for the next 10 months.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Stephen Butler
4 minutes ago, Guest Kept it real said:

Had River Bluff and Summerville wrestled 10x this year.  River Bluff wins 9 of them.  Summerville had their night when it counted. River Bluff wrestled poorly to say the least.  Is what it is Summerville won’t beat RB next year nor Hillcrest, but neither will any other 5A team.  So have fun talking about the hypothetical  3rd place on this board with all the other green wave fans for the next 10 months.  

Lol. You couldn’t be any more wrong. If we are really going to keep it real,  Summerville probably wins that match 8 out of 10. I was there, were you? We can go weight by weight if you want. None of the RB favorites lost in that match, SV had a match that we should have won. RB loses the best kids on their team. 
 

And Hillcrest loses All their top kids except 2. Neither beats Summerville. I’ll be glad to revisit in about 11 months 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest

I understand that nobody cares about 1A/2A haha, but realignment seems to make it more interesting this year. Crescent, Chesnee, and Liberty moving down makes things a bit more competitive. Lots of rising programs in 2a too. Idk, could be fun 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest quarantine
16 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I understand that nobody cares about 1A/2A haha, but realignment seems to make it more interesting this year. Crescent, Chesnee, and Liberty moving down makes things a bit more competitive. Lots of rising programs in 2a too. Idk, could be fun 

 

Agreed. The lower state will be from what I can see pretty much the same. Upstate 2A-1A with the addition of those programs will become really fun to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×