Sign in to follow this  
BridgeMaster9000

Team SC VS Team NC

So I was browsing around SCMAT the other day and saw what our SC team is going to look like when we go up against Team NC... and I have a question.

Why would we take the time write an article about Kesean Brown, who had it not been for him being young and out muscled vs that Chesnee kid would be a 4xer, and his accolades and him not be our 195 pounder? Am I missing something and Jones beaten him head to head? I'm pretty positive that Dugan is coming from NC...

Dugan is their 195.

I can’t wait to see Aluyan vs Blatt!!!

SC team is listed on SCMat.  I posted NC team below.

106 - Noah Johns - Clayton High School -  NC State Champion - 2X NC placer

113 - Josh Vega - Carson High School - NC State Runner Up - 2X State placer, 4X State Qualifer

120 - Will Edmiston - Lake Norman High School - NC State Champion - 3X State Placer -4X State Qualifer

126 - Caleb Smith - Southwest Guilford High School - NC State Champion - 3X State Placer

132 - Josh Blatt - Piedmont High School - 3X NC State Champion - 4X NC State Placer

138 - Kade Millsaps - Robbinsville High School - 2X NC State Champion - 3X NC State Placer

145 - Silas Shaw - Mooresville High School - 3X NC State Champion - 4X NC State Qualifier

152 - Nathan Hull - West Lincoln - 2X NC State Champion - 3X NC State Placer

160 - Elijah Martin - Union Pines - NC State 3rd Place Finisher - 3X NC State Qualifier

170 - Isiah Martin - Uwharrie Charter Academy - NC State Champion - 3X NC State Placer

182 - Chris Garrison - Northwest Guilford High School -2X NC State Champion - 3X NC State Placer

195 - Nathan Dugan - Lake Norman High School - 2X NC State Champion - 3X NC State Placer

220 - Michael Smith - Asheboro 2X State Champion

285 - Terran Brown - Pisgah NC State Champion - 3X NC State Placer

I don't know enough about any of the kids that are involved with North/South, I just know how good we are at making a mess of things.

So, if we are going to try to keep this whole NC vs SC all star match going, I wish that we would send the strongest team that we could to NC instead of sending the team that has the most accolades, or the team that considers anyone's feelings at all.  I'd want the coaches to pick whoever they think gives them the best chance to win period.

In the past it was entirely decided on accolades regardless of which classification those accolades were garnered in. So 3 or 4 titles in 1A-2A held more weight than 1 or 2 titles in 4A (or what would be 5A now). This led to some lopsided losses to other states. I would prefer the coaches use the North/South event as a talent pool to see which kids were in the best shape and ready to be competitive that weekend rather than pre-determining the line-ups. But then again, North/South is just a dog-and-pony show anyway.

Again, can anyone point out to me where I can find the line-up on SCMAT? 

20 minutes ago, CarolinaHawkeyeFan said:

In the past it was entirely decided on accolades regardless of which classification those accolades were garnered in. So 3 or 4 titles in 1A-2A held more weight than 1 or 2 titles in 4A (or what would be 5A now). This led to some lopsided losses to other states. I would prefer the coaches use the North/South event as a talent pool to see which kids were in the best shape and ready to be competitive that weekend rather than pre-determining the line-ups. But then again, North/South is just a dog-and-pony show anyway.

Again, can anyone point out to me where I can find the line-up on SCMAT? 

Or even have wrestle-offs earlier in the week for a spot on Team SC!! How radical of an idea is that? They could even sell admission tickets to the wrestle-offs if they wanted.

2 hours ago, BridgeMaster9000 said:

I really wish we used this past weekend to make adjustments to this lineup.....

I am pretty sure the lineup is going to be different than expected.  Character issues, questions about conduct seem to exclude people for some crazy reason

Bridgem........    quit beating around the bush and come out and say who should be on the team.  Then tell us all enquiring minds who should be taken off and haven't earned being on the team.   Otherwise stfu about it.  

Yeah, not gonna engage in a fight over the internet here WW, especially over 17 and 18 year old kids. I asked a simple question and was provided a simple answer by Hawkeye, suntzu, and only_avg. Upon further voicing my opinion, you must have taken it the wrong way. However, I will not disrespect/undervalue a kid or any particular weight class on a message board. If you would like to answer my initial question as to why a kid was left off that would be great. If not, pick a keyboard fight somewhere else.

Like I said above BM. You keep digging but don't put the name out there. Who do you want on the team?  

I don't have a dog in the fight.  These teams are made of kids that have put their time in.  It's not the Worlds. Talented or less talented, they were chosen and will have a great time.  

1 hour ago, Worldwide said:

Like I said above BM. You keep digging but don't put the name out there. Who do you want on the team?  

I don't have a dog in the fight.  These teams are made of kids that have put their time in.  It's not the Worlds. Talented or less talented, they were chosen and will have a great time.  

I don't care about fights either way (this is a wrestling board, I would imagine that we're less scared of confrontation than the tennis boards), but I would like to point out that bridgemaker put the name out there that he wanted to see on the team.  He didn't hide it, it was the whole point of his very first post in this thread that he created to ask this question. 

I was going to post a few specific examples of the North/South roster being altered when it made sense, and the north/south lineup/roster not being altered when we had clear evidence that the absolute best wrestlers were being left out (Before Tommy or others bring up the nomination process and/or character issues I mean that the absolute best wrestler by results on the mat did not have the prior on paper body of work that others had, not faulting the tough job that you guys do before the end of the season).

However, I have no realized that I'm really getting old, and while I can picture these guys, and remember coaching against them, and coaching them, I'm no longer 100% certain of years, names, or all of the particular reasons given for each situation. Just know that sometimes I was surprised, sometimes I was pleased, and sometimes I was really fired up for the next season.

North/South has always been about rewarding accomplished senior wrestlers with a nice weekend and some free gear - whether they have placed in state or just had a really competitive career. I have no problem with this. I do, however, have a problem with the selection model and the people selecting. For one, we use the model of the other sports which limits the number of athletes that can be chosen from any one program. We all know that wrestling is unique, and as SButler would point out, an individual sport. Although in recent years there has been a lot of parity making the complete dominance by one team over the rest of the field somewhat irrelevant, there may still be cases where you have senior-laden teams that do not get all their deserving athletes chosen. The other problem is the "character issue" issue. In the past some kids have almost been left off do to their potential for bad behavior rather than actual behavior.

My problem with North/South as it pertains to this post is the cross-state match. If we are going to wrestle another state's all-stars, we need to put the best possible team, chosen from the senior class, on the mat.

CarolinaHawkeyefan,  who are you taking off and who are you putting on?  With your issues pertaining to the character issues, wouldn't it make sense to air on the side of caution.  In today's society one big mistake can ruin the event for years to come.  We've all had kids that we know could be great kids deep down, but maybe a field trip with a bunch of peers who may want to prove who the alpha male isn't the best environment for them to flourish.  

Question - because I honestly don't know - how many wrestlers can be chose per team?  Eastside's senior class next year is Maholtz, Barnes, Allen, Augustine twins...  All could be multiple state champs by end of next season.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:36 PM, SCESPO said:

CarolinaHawkeyefan,  who are you taking off and who are you putting on?  With your issues pertaining to the character issues, wouldn't it make sense to air on the side of caution.  In today's society one big mistake can ruin the event for years to come.  We've all had kids that we know could be great kids deep down, but maybe a field trip with a bunch of peers who may want to prove who the alpha male isn't the best environment for them to flourish.  

Not sure who if any I'd changed as I wasn't able to follow wrestling closely this season. My post is in general about years past when certain wrestlers were named to the team based solely on career accolades, but weren't the best seniors at the event. I'm just tired of getting absolutely crushed by our northern and southern neighbors and wish they would assemble the best team based on who shows up ready to go. As far as I know this year's team may be our best team.

I think the most you can have from a team is four.... but it could be just two.

No one better get on here saying that changes don't need to be made to how kids are selected to represent SC against other states. What I just heard is that NC won 60 something to nine. NINE! SC scored nine points!!!! That's freaking embarrassing. I heard SC kids were rolling to their backs and LAUGHING about it. The whole North/South event has become a joke and now we are letting our state become a laughingstock.

And people wonder why DI coaches don't come here to recruit.

I think it’s ok to select kids for the North/South based on career accomplishments, but when we wrestle other states we need to take our best kids.  

If you don’t think it’s important to NC kids then you think wrong.  Still hearing the bragging today.  

• Like 1

I still think that if we're going to have an all-star match against another state, the north/south coaches should have wrestle-offs during the north/south week to pick the team that goes against NC. The kids that are only there for the experience can still get the experience. The kids that are really the best on the mat regardless of accolades have a chance to demonstrate that they belong in the #1 spot, and so on. Isn't that pretty much how our sport has been deciding things since like forever? You could open up the gym for admission, and have another opportunity for raising money for this event, and add some build-up to the importance of showcasing our talent against another state.

Then again, what do I know.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this