Sign in to follow this  
suntzu189

State Finals!

I'm going with River Bluff in an upset (I don't necessarily think that they are the better team, just a gut feeling that I have).

Eastside over NMB, Indian Land over Gilbert (prediction that I'm least comfortable with), and Bamberg over N.C.

Anybody else want to talk about the limbs that they're stepping out on?

Overall, there a really good crowd showing for 2A, 4A, and 5A.  The gym was very loud and engaged for those 3 matches and made for a great environment.  Eastside had what I would consider an "intimate viewing" crowd of people that probably had direct ties to the team, but NMB did not travel well at all.  Not sure if that was due to knowing what was going to happen, or just a general lack of interest.  It was great to see so many teams making their first appearances for a State Championship (North Central, Gilbert, Indian Land, NMB).  I feel pretty comfortable saying the state of wrestling in SC is looking up with these teams making their first run and on average traveling well.  It probably helped attendance that in 4 of the 8 teams are basically Midlands area teams.

I arrived probably halfway through the 2A final, so I don't have a ton of thoughts on that one.

3A- I thought Indian Land would win, but the match was closer than that score indicated.  Out of 14 weights, 11 of them went 3 full periods.  Indian Land won the bulk of them, obviously, just grinding them out where they needed to, winning the toss-ups that Gilbert needed to be competitive, as well as the weights they expected to win.  The individual match of the day was the first match at 182.  The Gilbert kid injured his ankle while defending a shot, gets taken down, gets up and hobbles around on one leg, then gets taken down again.  Once the weight was off of his bum leg, hits a peterson and quickly goes from down 4-1 to up 6-4 (may have tied the match at 6-6, can't remember if IL got back points).  After that sequence, IL kid takes an injury timeout, Gilbert gets his ankle taped up, and then ends up getting a huge pin to start the match off.  After that, it was pretty much all Warriors.

4A- Death, taxes, and Mayholtz trying to figure out where to eat after lifting another trophy.  11 pins for the Eagles.  Whatever, you're better than us and we all know it.  If this current realignment is going to be a representation of what we are going to get for the end of time, we really have to talk to the SCHSL about petitioning to get a cross-bracket going in the semi-finals.  Mayholtz or Kimrey can help with this, but isn't that how Dutch Fork was able to get to that final in 2003 and finally beat Summerville?  The Upper State is SO much better and deep than the Lower State.  The fact that NMB emerged to the final was the only surprise here.  I thought for most of the season Airport was going to get boat-raced in the final, then for about a week I thought it was going to be 3rd year program South Aiken because they won Airport's region.  #10 ranked NMB came out of nowhere to win the Lower State.  I hope they are proud of their dual season, but Eastside knocked off the 3# team in the state in their 2nd round match, and it didn't get easier for them until yesterday afternoon.

5A- Expected this match to be the best match of the 4 and it delivered.  Hillcrest got probably the best draw they could have starting at 170 because that forced River Bluff to make some decisions right away.  The way stalling was being called early in this match, Hillcrest is lucky they weren't losing 15-10 after the first 5 weights.  The match really got interesting with 4 weights to go.  Hillcrest just had to not get pinned (or DQed) in one weight to win and RB promptly got 2 big pins.  Both fan bases were jacked up, and then at 152 the Hillcrest kid was able to stay in better position and eventually ice the match with a pin of his own.  Really was a great match from top to bottom.

Hate that I missed these matches. I did not follow SC wrestling closely this season, but from what I have been told and the results I have seen it looks like several state finals happened Wednesday night. Cross-bracketing would be great for our sport, just like if the SCHSL would have not added 5A to wrestling or would allow for one individual state tournament,  but it won't happen. Cross-bracketing would eliminate Upper and Lower state champions, and we know that the SCHSL like to buy trophies.

Suntzu189, in 2003 DF met and defeated 3x defending state champions Summerville in the Lower State finals then went on to beat Spring Valley in the finals. No cross-bracketing, and like this year the closer, more compelling match-up happened before the finals. The only difference was that Upper and Lower state finals immediately preceded the state finals by about 45 minutes. That was a lot better than in 1999 when the state final began 10 minutes after the conclusion of the 2nd semifinal.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:29 AM, CarolinaHawkeyeFan said:

Suntzu189, in 2003 DF met and defeated 3x defending state champions Summerville in the Lower State finals then went on to beat Spring Valley in the finals. No cross-bracketing, and like this year the closer, more compelling match-up happened before the finals. The only difference was that Upper and Lower state finals immediately preceded the state finals by about 45 minutes. That was a lot better than in 1999 when the state final began 10 minutes after the conclusion of the 2nd semifinal.

My bad, I just looked back at the brackets now.  We did cross-bracket the quarters in 2001 and 2002 though, which was also when we brought the final 8 teams together at Irmo.  That was really cool, minus the finals teams wrestling 15 minutes after their semi-finals matches.    Was there anything specifically better about wrestling Summerville in the semis in 2003 instead of the finals in the previous 2 years?  Or was 2003 just the year DF was the better team on that day?

Well suntzu189, nothing better about wrestling them earlier. Both teams were about evenly matched. DF had big point-getters at 4 weights, and so did the Ville. Both had holes in the line-up, but it was the first year in awhile that da ville had so many glaring holes. With two (?) matches left the 'ville was looking to come from behind with the #1 ranked kid in the state. IMO he wasn't thank great, just long, athletic, and spastic. He would come out so hard and fast that he would either get a pin or a big enough lead he could hold onto. DF had a senior who had been sitting behind Careefer Madness Robinson for two years and had missed most of the season from a throwball injury, but he was pretty darn good, and I felt that if he could manage the first period he would win.

The match starts and the DF kid hits a beautiful drive double. As Summerville is in the air going to his butt, he stuck a long arm out to catch himself. His elbow dislocated, and Summerville was forced to injury default. That put them too far behind to mathematically win, and the last weight was forfeited.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this