An interesting discussion concerning hair coverings stemming from an "incident" at a NJ (?) match.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/report-referee-makes-high-school-wrestler-cut-his-dreadlocks-or-forfeit-match/ar-BBRgOBx?li=BBnba9I&fbclid=IwAR3XPCROiGyW5uY21JJ5CcwNx93SCLccoxTPtx6yoHp5ZcMadzV-8olIQgY

Personally I think this young man was done wrong by the official because he was wearing a head covering, and the hair and covering should have been addressed at weigh-ins by the official rather than when the athlete stepped on the mat.

Several people have pointed out that the rule states that a hair covering must be attached to the ear guards, which I have verified as correct, but the rule does not state how it should attach or provide a photo or illustration. To the best of my recollection I have not seen a hair covering that attaches to a headgear. I have, however, seen many loose hair coverings worn under a headgear without any problem.

Thoughts?

17 hours ago, Only_Avg said:

legal hair cover  

If you click this link above you'll see one. It threads through the chinstrap. 

Yes, I see. A $19.00 expense. Apparently the fallout has gone national with Jordan Burroughs chiming in. It is mostly a racism story now, but I am wondering how the National Rules Committee will respond. I blame them for not being clearer in the rules and now apparently requiring someone to buy a head covering online rather than accepting one that can be found at Walmart as we have for many years.

Better yet do away with the hair rules. If it is permissible to have hair of any length internationally, why not in folkstyle?

Being in NJ right now, the story is crazy and stupid. From what I can gather the official in question is not "well-liked" in general, and this seems to be an opportunity for many to stick it to him. I think the whole thing is stupid. What strikes me up here is of all the people trying to lynch (irony fully intended) the official, no one is claiming that the wrestler's hair cover was legal (the closest is a claim that it's been used before), and no one is claiming that the wrestler's hair was legal prior to the haircut.

As an official, I would have really wanted to have this taken care of prior to the match (the one complaint that I would reasonably have against the official), yet no one is mentioning what happened during the skin checks and whatnot.

As a coach, I would have actually read the rule book in the last 5 years or so, and known which hair coverings were legal, and which were not. Then again, I hated leaving things that I could control up to chance.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Only_Avg said:

Being in NJ right now, the story is crazy and stupid. From what I can gather the official in question is not "well-liked" in general, and this seems to be an opportunity for many to stick it to him. I think the whole thing is stupid. What strikes me up here is of all the people trying to lynch (irony fully intended) the official, no one is claiming that the wrestler's hair cover was legal (the closest is a claim that it's been used before), and no one is claiming that the wrestler's hair was legal prior to the haircut.

As an official, I would have really wanted to have this taken care of prior to the match (the one complaint that I would reasonably have against the official), yet no one is mentioning what happened during the skin checks and whatnot.

As a coach, I would have actually read the rule book in the last 5 years or so, and known which hair coverings were legal, and which were not. Then again, I hated leaving things that I could control up to chance.

I would have to start re-reading the many articles about it - new one today talking about the Alabama football players reacting to this - but I thought that I read that the official may have been late to the match. I'm not positive, but I think I saw that in a later match. If that is the case, and the other things that are being said about the man are true, he probably should not be officiating.

He didn't make the weigh-in. Much like many officials in SC. The coaches conduct the weigh-in amongst themselves, and then when the official gets to the meet, he completes the skin check, and they get ready to wrestle.

Also heard up here (from a wrestling coach friend of mine, not sure if it's second, third, or fourth hand) that the coach and wrestler were told at the prior tournament that his hair cover was illegal, but would be allowed at that one tournament since it was the first event of their season. 

Here's the last article that I've read about this topic.