Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfanatic

Rankings....who got underestimated???

Rankings ARE OUT FOLKS! Was looking through some of the rankings (specifically 5A) and noted Aluyon was ranked 2nd!?? What in the absolute Nicki Minaj is up with THAT!!!??? Ha! Do they even know who he actually is!?? 2 X 5A state champ is ranked second behind a Rock Hill kid that's not done anything? Furthermore, just because a kid placed higher in 4A def doesn't constitute a higher ranking over a 5A wrestler. Wow. Thoughts!?? 

My take is I think Mark only posts the rankings for informational purposes only. I think that part of his site is basically collecting data and posting it up on the site. I think he looks at returning State placers/qualifiers, checks their early season results and creates a general list. 

Since he hosts the site on his own dime and the love of the sport, I give him a pass on the individual ranking misses, understanding that he probably doesn’t have the time to do the research, evaluating needed to drill down on every weight with kids moving weights etc. I appreciate the historical data and the results that get posted.

Perhaps a few individuals can volunteer to assist Mark with the Individual rankings...A guy for each class! 

That said , 132 is obviously the biggest oversight. In my opinion Jordan Aluyan is the best P4P wrestler in SC this year. He is good enough to win it from 132 to 145.

No Emery from RB, who had a win over Wilkins at the Slam. Vargo from FD will be in the mix at 120, evident by his sound win over K. Heard at the Slam.  Aiden Jurey from Sville will be ranked once he returns to competing. Those were the biggest misses at first glance, but for the most part I think he gets pretty close on most of getting the right guys in the grouping.

And lastly with Lugoff, Chapin, and Cane Bay moving up to 5A this year, it certainly makes 5A a completely different animal and in my opinion raises the stakes significantly for the 5A Lower State tournament, which I think might have been a little deeper then 5A Upper State the past few years, but with those additions, it’s clearly the tougher path in 5A. 

In the process it has gutted 4A. That classification got considerably less competitive...they need to invite West Oak up! Teams like Eastside will continue to wrestle a tough schedule outside of their 4A state competition, and will probably increase that with the state of 4A now. 

• Like 1

4A is so incredibly watered down they honestly should just combine it with 3A. West oak should have come up but not sure what happened there. 5A is MUCH more diverse. All the 4-3-2-1A kids being “four timers” won’t hold a candle to any of the state champs in 5A! Of course, everyone can debate that all day long but it is what it is. This years state brackets in 5A are going to be epic! I can’t hardly wait. I suspect not much attention aside from the mommy’s and daddy’s will be on other mats. 

On a side note, The man that takes care of SC Mat is pretty amazing. My initial post was not a dog at him. Just starting conversation. January 8 rankings will be much more interesting once the bigger tourneys shake out. I do hate he bases so much decision on the slam. ESP since it was the most “watered down” it’s ever been as far as talent goes. 

• Like 1

If people are missing from the rankings, that is certainly not Mark's fault.  He sends out 3 drafts of what they look like asking all coaches that he has contacts for to give feedback.  I am guessing most of the coaches that respond are just giving feedback on where their guy is, what weight, and their record.  If I have seen other guys, then I try to give my input on if wrestler A should be higher than wrestler B, but at this point in the season the rankings are still filling out.  The next set, as guys have wrestled 10-20 more matches and are closer to their real weight after the allowance will carry a lot more... weight.

• Like 1

Rankings are always a little bit crazy the first time they are posted. I also feel the rankings in January will be more telling after the kids have wrestled multiple matches at multiple events.

What if we have a champions tournament at the conclusion of the season. We invite the top placers in each division. Get SCISA through 5A and have a single elimination one day tournament. 

Then all the debating would be over. I can host it if we want to do it. 

Just a thought.

The kid at 132 is probably ranked that way because he placed higher at the Southern Slam. I'd say that is because Eastside rigged the system that way just to screw over Ft. D, but I'll leave that to Eaglehater to do later. Also, hasn't Emery from River Bluff missed some matches due to injury? Usually Mark doesn't rank kids when they're out, until they are back on the mat (when he's aware of the issue, and when it's feasible, i.e. they won't be back until the next ranking, or something). 

Also, Moxie is probably sandbagging his kids somewhat to get a lower ranking (a skill that he learned from Tommy Bell, who he worships so much that he copied his haircut) so as to be able to do the old Bill Cowher, nobody respects us speech to pump up his guys in February. 

Mark does ask coaches for input in rankings. Some guys don't care, and are too busy to respond, some guys want to downplay their kids, and some coaches want to boost their kids. It all depends on their situation, and you always have to take these things with a large grain of salt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Grecofan said:

Rankings are always a little bit crazy the first time they are posted. I also feel the rankings in January will be more telling after the kids have wrestled multiple matches at multiple events.

What if we have a champions tournament at the conclusion of the season. We invite the top placers in each division. Get SCISA through 5A and have a single elimination one day tournament. 

Just a thought.

I like that idea.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grecofan said:

Just a thought.

That would be called a true Individual State Tournament rather than the multiple classification one we currently have.

According to Trackwrestling South Carolina has a little more than 160 schools fielding wrestling teams. I'm going to be a real Yankee here for a moment and tell you that Ohio runs 3 classifications of 160 schools a piece for the individual state tournament. So.......SC at best should run 2 classifications for wrestling. Biggest 80 schools in one class, bottom 80 in the other. Now if you want to keep 4 classes for the duals state tournament that's one thing BUT there is no reason SC should be running 4 classes for the individual state tournament. I don't care if you keep the numbers the same. As of right now 448 wrestlers compete at state each year. If you want to keep that number to maintain $$$$$ that's fine but absolutely no reason a state SC's size should be crowning 56 state champions when Ohio crowns 42. 

• Like 2

Saying it for years......

Duals- by class

Individuals- 1 tournament; same qualifying we already have in place; just simply combine the current four 8 man brackets into a single 32 man bracket. 

Nothing at all changes except for the tournament format.  Same number of wrestlers, fans, etc. which equals same $$$$

• Like 2

We are really ahead of schedule on the state tournament debate.  That means we will have started this up at least three times this calendar year (before 2018 state, after 2018 state, and now).  Way to go guys!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suntzu189 said:

We are really ahead of schedule on the state tournament debate.  That means we will have started this up at least three times this calendar year (before 2018 state, after 2018 state, and now).  Way to go guys!

THE VENUE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE SHOWERS!!!

• Haha 2

Next, someone's going to point out that the venue is in the tiny (geographically) corner of the state, and needs to be more centrally located.

Then, someone's going to point out that one of the guys in a gray (or is it grey?) shirt cost some kid his state title (which isn't true, or at least is debatable).

Someone's going to come up with an overly complex plan that will work, but no one's going to get behind.

Someone else is going to point out a different grey (or is it really gray?) shirt dude that cost this other guy a state championship (which is true, the ref screwed up, alas it happens).

Koz is going to bring up his simple workable plan that won't work only because it's coming from Koz, and no one likes Eastside (note: I am not saying that I like Koz's idea, no matter if it makes sense or not, if I ever sided with Koz over an issue this divisive I'd have to move and change my name

Someone else accuses the HSL of screwing over wrestling because of dollars, or some other conspiracy-like reason.

Another poster complains about a referee, and tries to call him out, but misidentifies him, and/or the match that the ref messed up (don't they still have numbers? all of you ref haters should know who you are, and take notes and numbers. Saying the old guys that's out of shape, or the one with black pants helps no one know who you're talking about).

Someone else comes up with another complex plan that might work, but no one would get behind because there's too many ADs and wrestling coaches that were PE majors, and they are confused.

Someone likes Koz's plan, and points out that it would both work, and is simple enough for even Moxie (who still won't respond to me here, I know you're reading this) to understand.

Someone that just hates Eastside points out that Koz's plan won't work because he's almost as fat as Maholtz.

Koz replies that he's not really fat, he's just been hiding his state championships in a money belt around his waist and things are getting tight. All the haters shut up for the year, their shame is complete.

Out comes Eaglehater to the rescue, who proceeds to accuse Koz of hating God, Alabama, puppies, and fair play. Compares his ethics to that of the NE Patriots, and says something nasty about Joe Pa and/or Penn State. 

CaronlinaHawkeyefan "likes" both Eaglehater and Koz's posts which confuses those that like to take sides. They don't know who side he's on (Helllllooo! We're on a wrestling site, he just likes a good competitive fight (competitive being defined as neither side gives in, or gives up)).

Maholtz makes the point that you can talk about his team, his weight, even sometimes his family, but you had better leave PSU out of this.

At this point anyone that has "liked" an Eaglehater post double-checks that Maholtz will never be able to find their true identity (except CarolinaHawkeyeFan who is both fearless and a computer whiz, his identity is hidden from all of those that are untrustworthy).

Things die down for a while ...

Someone makes some comparison between teams of different eras, and Ft. D fans get their panties in a wad over something. Suspiciously Eastside gets left out of all all-time great teams because those that don't hate them don't count them because they're not in the big boy division, and those that wrestled against them and know how good many of those teams were (no, I am not showing them any respect, I like my house egg-free) won't give them any respect because they hate them.

and that'll bring us back to April, when illegal practices resume and people start to make predictions for next year.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, suntzu189 said:

It needs to be a year-round discussion until the SCHSL and Coach's Association gets their heads out of the sand.

• Haha 1

"CaronlinaHawkeyefan "likes" both Eaglehater and Koz's posts which confuses those that like to take sides. They don't know who side he's on (Helllllooo! We're on a wrestling site, he just likes a good competitive fight (competitive being defined as neither side gives in, or gives up))."

Yup...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaHawkeyeFan said:

It needs to be a year-round discussion until the SCHSL and Coach's Association gets their heads out of the sand.

I don't think many people at the SCHSL are concerned about our keyboard party.  The interesting part here is where you say their heads are located.