First off the SCMAT website is obviously not a focus point of the people running it, more of a hobby than a business I'm guessing.  Why is every teams schedule not posted with details on the tournaments about who going, times, etc.?  On the results page, why are the scores not posted with match details within 48 hours?  People talk about SC not being a wrestling state, but parents, relatives and wrestling fans in general have no access to what happening around the state.  Then you have this site, which is not a wrestling site, why does SCMAT not have a forum dedicated to wrestling only?  Go to https://theguillotine.com/ this is Minnesota's main site for everything wrestling.  It has everything wrestling fans would want to know, Event calendars (youth, HS and state colleges), records, results, forum, etc., all being updated daily/weekly.  They even had a guy who created a site called www.tstuff.com, which has all the individual and team information, some of it dating back to the 70's.

I'm somewhat new, so I don't understand the background over the years in SC.  Why can't SCMAT be this informative though?

because coaches/schools don't send the information out.

What you send to Mr. Buford gets put on scmat.com ... with him, each school pretty much gets the coverage that they ask for/want.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, markday said:

Everything you see on scmat was created by one guy. I think that's amazing. He also gets a salary of zero dollars.

I didn't mean to hack on him, but then I'm right it's just a hobby.  

Mark is a former wrestler and long-time wrestling fan who has done a lot for the sport in this state with the creation of SCMAT.com, his documentation of SC wrestling stats in book form and articles (I often reference his tome "The History of the South Carolina Individual State Wrestling Tournament: The First Forty Years 1969-2008"),  and his outstanding wrestling photographs that are hung in several Midlands wrestling rooms and at one time appeared in a national wrestling publication. Because SCMAT.com is a free site without advertisement dollars funding it, he of course has to run it as a hobby. He is extremely busy in a demanding career and has two wonderful daughters who were involved in athletics causing him to reduce his focus on wrestling as I think any devoted parent would understand. That he continues the site and adds content every year is tremendous for such a busy person. 

If coaches and schools would actively send schedules, results, etc. he would gladly ad the information. He also only does rankings a couple times a season as he does not get a lot of result information sent and would not have the time to slog through all of it every week. That we have the site in it's current form should be regarded as a blessing. I'm sure that if there were someone out there who would like to assist him, for free, with expanding the coverage of the website he would be open to the help. Mark only wants what is best for SC wrestling without a personal agenda.

• Like 2

New SC Guy sounds like someone I come across daily in high school athletics. Has all the answers and suggestions but none of the hustle to get involved. Sounds like he'd be a good candidate to help scmat out with this idea.

1 hour ago, utrocket99 said:

New SC Guy sounds like someone I come across daily in high school athletics. Has all the answers and suggestions but none of the hustle to get involved. Sounds like he'd be a good candidate to help scmat out with this idea.

You don’t know me.  I was just asking why and even stated I don’t know the history.

• Like 1

You aren't allowed to ask any questions around here until you've been around long enough to already know the answers. Then, and only then are you allowed to ask your questions.

(there's supposed to be some newfangled way to show that your response is filled with sarcasm, but I don't remember what it is, and I'm not about to ask. However, I don't want to insult New SC guy until I like him enough to insult him, so consider the above to be comical, and not serious).

15 hours ago, Only_Avg said:

You aren't allowed to ask any questions around here until you've been around long enough to already know the answers. Then, and only then are you allowed to ask your questions.

(there's supposed to be some newfangled way to show that your response is filled with sarcasm, but I don't remember what it is, and I'm not about to ask. However, I don't want to insult New SC guy until I like him enough to insult him, so consider the above to be comical, and not serious).

Your post-script just ruined any chance you had of inheriting the mantle of Darth Vomitus...

• Like 1

As the Founder, President, and Chief Operating Office of the "Mark Buford for SC Wrestling Hall of Fame" social movement, I totally understand the questioning. No harm, no foul. Play on. 

SCMAT is really an incredible historical resource for all things South Carolina Wrestling, and Mark Buford does an incredible job at keeping present-day updates coming at a reasonable rate (I've noticed that some teams are updated really quickly and I'm assuming that is because certain coaches are diligent about sending results) For a one man show, the tournament updating is reasonable. The rankings are, and always have been, an exciting feature for coaches, kids, and sports reporters statewide who reference SCMAT frequently. 

What's most impressive for me is the longevity of the site. It has been around as long as I can remember; always consistently updated, always there with no outages. Obviously, the state specific websites like Guillotine and PA Power are in states where wrestling related traffic is high enough that banner ads make running those sites a legitimate business opportunity. That said, there are several traditional wrestling states that I always am surprised don't have dedicated sites, or at least ones on the first page of Google search (NJ being one. Finding state tournament brackets are pretty brutal though they get a ton of wrestling coverage at NJ.com) To my knowledge, there are few southern states that have a centralized website similar to SCMAT. NCMAT was very similar but I think it may be defunct, or only recently reinvigorated.  

All in all, I think most are happy with the service the website provides and a more robust platform would be icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaHawkeyeFan said:

Your post-script just ruined any chance you had of inheriting the mantle of Darth Vomitus...

That's fine with me. I'm as much an anti-DF person as I am an anti-Eastside person. 

Personally, I find it much more satisfying to have someone think that they are my friend, and then beat them down with sarcasm and fat jokes. That way they won't be expecting it!

On 12/3/2018 at 10:57 AM, Only_Avg said:

That's fine with me. I'm as much an anti-DF person as I am an anti-Eastside person. 

Personally, I find it much more satisfying to have someone think that they are my friend, and then beat them down with sarcasm and fat jokes. That way they won't be expecting it!

DF? Is that because Maholtz started his Hall of Fame career at Dutch Fork?

Didn't you used to help out with the Dutch Fork program back in the 90s?

If not, then you really aren't who I thought you were, and this whole thing becomes even more fun for me.

• Confused 1