What are you guys most looking forward to seeing at this weekend's Southern Slam?

Any big matchups that you're looking forward to?

Missing the SEC championship to watch good wrestling in the first week of December. Every year you think you can make it out, that the finals will be over semi quickly, and they turn out to be barn burners, and legit matches. My favorite of all time had to be watching Clay Walker wrestle I think a kid from Alexandria. I think the match ended up being 2-1 and Koz was furious because Clay couldn't hit his snowplow (far knee far ankle) due to the other kids knee pads sliding across the mat. That or watching Jake Hart get his revenge, two of my favorite matches I've ever seen at the Slam Finals. That and watching returning state finalists wrestle for 5th and 6th place, shows the depth and overall talent at this tournament each and every year. 

Alabama's going to win the SEC championship this year. I think that we all pretty much know that. What we don't know is which wrestlers will win the Slam (or heck, even get to the finals).

Edited by Only_Avg
I'm dumb.

I can see it now .... wrestler: "Coach, I'm coming up on mat 3" 

coach: "Not now kid, can't you see Alabama's about to score!"

I'm not there, but ... I wonder if Koz has finally put in enough work in the off-season to get to the weight class above Maholtz, or if they're still stuck in the same class. You would think with the talent, and longevity of that program, that they would know how to get guys to spread out across their lineup better.

Great job Eastside. Tournament ran real smooth. Glad to see Ben Maholtz ok after a scary end of the match where he pretty much passed out and low on O2. My understanding some hydration and rest helped that. 

Highlights

GA teams had 8 champs

NC teams had 2 champs

SC Teams had 4 Champs - 106 Hunsburger Byrnes, 120 White Eastside, 138 Emery River Bluff, 182 Ortega River Bluff

Byrnes looks to have a tough team. They wrestled well. 

Buford 216 wins followed by Woodward 187.5 Collins Hill 180,  Eastside 150,  Alexander 143, River Bluff 139 

Take a look through the brackets and results to dig deeper. Some real good match ups and key wins you'll see to get to the finals.  

I really don’t think Sam Emery winning a state championship in any weight class would upset the state tournament.  I can think of a handful of kids from 126-145 that could win a state title and I wouldn’t consider it an upset.  

Schultz from Goose Creek,  Aluyan and Brown from FD,  Simpson, Ramirez and Wilkins from Rock Hill,  Manningding and Soriano from Stratford,  Palmer and Emery from River Bluff,  Lawson from Dorman,  Rhue from Wando,  Jurey from Summerville,  Shiffer from Hillcrest and Kilcrease at Lexington.  Just a few names off the top of my head  that wouldn’t surprise me if they won 126-145.  Fort Mill,  Woodmont, etc have kids around these weights that can do some damage too. 

Maybe he meant that it would upset some people that he won, not surprise them. I can think of a number of people that would really get upset if he won state this year.

So, on a more important note for those that were at the slam this weekend: Do Koz and Maholtz still appear to be in the same weight class, or has Koz finally slimmed down? I know there's no hope for Maholtz, he's a big boy through and through, but Koz was once respectably thin.

• Haha 1

Haha!  Scales were a little on the lite side.  Maybe Koz and Maholtz have screwed up the calibration from their nightly weigh-offs? 

• Like 1

That should be "yall aint gunna body SLAM me!!!"

- cause while Hulk Hogan may have been able to body slam Andre the Giant, ain't nobody getting you up off the mat!

• Haha 1

ok - now I officially miss eagle hater 1-3333!!!! they were mean to eastside but left me alone.....why cant we all just get along?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/3/2018 at 2:37 PM, JTW said:

I really don’t think Sam Emery winning a state championship in any weight class would upset the state tournament.  I can think of a handful of kids from 126-145 that could win a state title and I wouldn’t consider it an upset.  

Schultz from Goose Creek,  Aluyan and Brown from FD,  Simpson, Ramirez and Wilkins from Rock Hill,  Manningding and Soriano from Stratford,  Palmer and Emery from River Bluff,  Lawson from Dorman,  Rhue from Wando,  Jurey from Summerville,  Shiffer from Hillcrest and Kilcrease at Lexington.  Just a few names off the top of my head  that wouldn’t surprise me if they won 126-145.  Fort Mill,  Woodmont, etc have kids around these weights that can do some damage too. 

I am more impressed with Ortega's result than Emery's. A little surprised that Emery won, but not really. Good wrestle that had to "grow" into his body. I don't think Ortega qualified for state last year, even though I thought he would, so winning the Slam is huge going into what I believe is his senior year.

... and they both have to overcome being coached by a Bengals fan. Those people from Ohio don't typically know anything about winning.

2 things against Emery winning (one of which hurts Ortega as well:

1 - heavyweight coaches can't out coach lightweight coaches in weight classes below 145. So Wilkins will have a huge advantage in Feb.

2 - Neither of them will win in the tight clutch situation unless Moxie learns how to dress like he's going to a formal dinner party. You can't coach big time wrestling matches if you're dressed like you' re going to wrestling practice.

Edited by Only_Avg
grammar/spelling