Sign in to follow this  
utrocket99

What's most important when building a successful wrestling program?

This topic showed up on another forum website and in the football section of that website. The discussion was on what factor is most important when building a football program. So I ask you wrestling forum, what are your thoughts on the matter as it applies to wrestling?

(in no particular order)

a. head coach

b. parents

c. administration

d. finances

e. facilities / resources

On a side note I've seen some once proud wrestling programs become shells of their former selves these last 5-10 years and wonder what caused this to happen.

• Like 1

Head Coach

Admin

Parents

Finances

Facilities/Resources

I don't like putting facilities/resources last and think it is about even with finances. I put HC first because I have personally seen a coach do great things with very little. Having an administration supporting the program can lead to better finances and even facilities; that was the case at White Knoll when getting their wrestling room. And of course if you have parents on your side they can put pressure, albeit not a lot, on the administration and can assist with the raising of money.

I think the one thing left off the discussion and possibly bigger than anything else is a feeder program. That kinda goes hand-in-hand with all the other topics, but it is very important in the process. I think we have seen in years past mediocre coaches winning a title or two then dropping back to the middle of the pack because of a great feeder system class that is not replaced by another class. I also think with more programs developing a feeder system, and the rise of stand-alone clubs in certain areas, you have seen more parity in competitiveness. And if a really good coach has a really good feeder system, that program can build a dynasty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaHawkeyeFan said:

Head Coach

Admin

Parents

Finances

Facilities/Resources

I don't like putting facilities/resources last and think it is about even with finances. I put HC first because I have personally seen a coach do great things with very little. Having an administration supporting the program can lead to better finances and even facilities; that was the case at White Knoll when getting their wrestling room. And of course if you have parents on your side they can put pressure, albeit not a lot, on the administration and can assist with the raising of money.

I think the one thing left off the discussion and possibly bigger than anything else is a feeder program. That kinda goes hand-in-hand with all the other topics, but it is very important in the process. I think we have seen in years past mediocre coaches winning a title or two than dropping back to the middle of the pack because of a great feeder system class that is not replaced by another class. I also think with more programs developing a feeder system, and the rise of stand-alone clubs in certain areas, you have seen more parity in competitiveness. And if a really good coach has a really good feeder system, that program can build a dynasty.

I left feeder program off because you can't do a feeder program without the rest of the above 5 factors AND some schools / school districts are better situated with their feeder programs. i.e. Rock Hill District 3 (Rock Hill, NW and SP) pays it's middle school wrestling coaches and they have separate middle school teams. Aiken county for example only pays for ONE coach per high school. Which means your head varsity coach is the only one getting paid. Greenville county, each high school gets 2 supplements. This is all stems from having a district admin that is serious about athletics / wrestling. 

• Like 1

Admin support is definitely crucial.  Ideally a school can have a dedicated space for wrestling, preferably where they can leave their mats down and not have to worry about moving them or having practice relocated at the whim of a faculty meeting or something like that.  The best examples of this that I have seen are definitely Lexington, White Knoll, River Bluff (shoutout Lexington 1), and Ft. Mill.  If admin cannot find a way to support that, then something as simple as moving mats on a daily basis and knowing you can get pushed out of your room regularly can really wear a staff/team down.

A solid head coach is important, but how much of that do you think should emphasize ability to recruit the student body in relation to technique/strategy?  How practices are run is ultimately the deciding factor in how most matches end I think.

Good parental involvement can certainly help with accountability of the kids, as well as have a positive impact on the finances of the team.

• Like 4

An administrator and/or head coach can destroy the strongest of feeder programs in just a few years. Almost everything in life starts at the top and trickles down. Do you think that any of the top programs today could be anywhere towards the top if their head coaches were piss poor and/or their admins were fighting them every step of the way?

Even if all that the admin does is get out of the way, and tell the coach to do their best, that's a lot more than what some admins out there do to hurt some programs.

I guess it is according to whether we are talking about building just a program or building a highly successful program. All your top programs have a sound youth program behind them. I know some administrations can care less about wrestling and they still have a good program. I admit they can kill a program if that is their intent. My order for a highly successful, meaning State Champion, program....

1. Feeder

2. head coach

3. parents, they can pressure the administration and supplement finances

4. facilities / resources; you can practice anywhere, I know plenty of programs that roll mats in the cafeteria each night!

5. finances, some school get virtually no budget especially compared to the big three- football, basketball, and baseball

6. administration, as long as they are not against it but they can definitely help with the head coach, facilities, and finances.

Give me a group of studs that have been wrestling together since elementary school and a wrestling mom can take them to State! lol

weldon-wrestling-300x182.jpg