Sign in to follow this  
utrocket99

Is 100 career wins still as big a deal???

Trying to get some fun pre-season discussion going here. Coaches, schools, scmat, etc... still celebrate breaking the 100 career win mark (as well they should) but does winning 100 matches in a career still mean as much as it use to? Considering kids can get upwards of 50-60 matches in a season easy (they may not win them but they certainly are getting more chances than ever it seems). I think it's still something to celebrate. Thoughts??

• Thanks 1

Probably depends on the wrestler and the school. Some programs/kids gauge their success by state championships or medals more so than wins. Like you said, some kids are wrestling tons of matches now. I remember years ago when Chesterfield kids would have unbelievable records because every dual event on their schedule was a quad or tri against largely inferior competition. While having a 100 wins is great, it's not as great as a state title or 200 wins IMO; especially when you consider the competition level in SC.

Hope it does. My son hopes to be there this year (Senior season). At 89 now. It will mean a lot to him and, by virtue, to me. Considering he battled injuries as a freshman and sophomore, it’s a big deal to us. 

I think with the plethora of matches that so many kids get to wrestle, the luster may have worn off slightly, but it is still a huge accomplishment.  Just thinking about how hard it is to get kids out for the sport, the fact that the ones that do are able to stick it out to wrestle enough matches to get to 100 wins is special.  Some kids are rare talents that get win 100 matches and only wrestle 110-120 matches, but most kids have to wrestle at least 150 to have a chance to do that, which means they are starting for at least 2 full years and likely a third year.  There aren't many sports where you have as many opportunities to compete against an individual from another sport, so having the commitment/courage to get out there makes it mean something.  As we all know, you are one bad move away from 100 losses in those 100 wins.

• Like 1

100 wins will always be a major milestone.  Regardless of the schedule, that is a lot of matches to win, and difficult to earn.  I agree with CHF......200 wins does not diminish the 100 win accomplishment, it is simply just an additional and more impressive achievement.  

It'll always be a milestone of sorts because it'll always be a large number. However, it does technically diminish the number in some way. What used to take 4 solid years of full seasons with few if any losses now could be accomplished by a sophomore.

For instance, I ate my 100 hotdog on my 5th birthday. I thought it was a big deal, and a solid accomplishment. Then, I found out that Maholtz ate his 100th hotdog during his second week of eating solid foods. What took me 5 whole years of work was accomplished by a baby in a matter of weeks. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Only_Avg said:

It'll always be a milestone of sorts because it'll always be a large number. However, it does technically diminish the number in some way. What used to take 4 solid years of full seasons with few if any losses now could be accomplished by a sophomore.

For instance, I ate my 100 hotdog on my 5th birthday. I thought it was a big deal, and a solid accomplishment. Then, I found out that Maholtz ate his 100th hotdog during his second week of eating solid foods. What took me 5 whole years of work was accomplished by a baby in a matter of weeks. 

Don't sell yourself short Only_Avg, Maholtz is a rare beast who few can compare to when it comes to hospitality room dominance.

• Like 1

100 wins is a milestone I think!

25 wins each season is a solid career in my book. I also feel the competition the athlete faces is a big factor. 100 wins in 5A and 100 wins in SCISA is two totally different careers. 

I'm just filling in the hole created by Eaglehater 001 - Eaglehater 5000. I don't have a lot of "Eastside's a bunch of cheaters" one-liners in my repertoire, but I do know a lot of fat jokes. I also don't like picking on people when they're down, and you guys are the opposite of down. 

On the bright side, the more fat jokes I tell this month, the more excuses you'll have to really represent at the Thanksgiving table this year!!

2livuw.jpg

Edited by Only_Avg
trying to get better at putting images in here the first time!
  • Haha 1

Dave, 

I'd like to congratulate you for finally stopping all of that whining about getting picked on for being a well-insulated athlete. Life on these boards is a lot more fun when you just sit back and enjoy it.

• Like 1