Sign in to follow this  
utrocket99

Best SC wrestler to never win a state title???

Saw this topic on an ohio high school wrestling forum and it got me thinking who in SC high school wrestling had a great career but never stood a top the podium.

Looking at scmat career wins I see that 7 200+ winners never won a state title. Rather than just naming those names who in your opinion was the best you ever saw that did not win it all?

This is a tough question. I think most kids in this state win at least one as A) we aren't as competitive and deep as OH, PA, etc... and B) the state tournament is watered down as SC has so many classifications for such a small state. I will have to do some more thinking, but one guy I think would have won it his senior year had he not had the flu at states was Joe Lovier of DF. He was wrestling sensationally that year and had a win over Pettis, the eventual champ, in the dual finals.

I also think Marcus Pollock of Irmo should have won. Lost in the 1987 finals to Sheets of Rock Thrill and to Benji LaFond of da Ville in the 1988 finals. Went on to start some matches for Clemson.

Good question. Interested to hear other responses.

Most recently I would have to say Logan Sexton, not only did he not win a state title but he only ever placed once. I think he had a mediocre Freshman season. His sophomore season I think he ran into the #2 guy in the opening round and the #3 guy in the Consi Semis. Jr. Year he ran into James Sass (Sr. Sass) in the finals after a very tough and physical match with a Boiling Springs kid in the semis and couldn't touch Sass's power. Then his Sr. year he I think tore his ACL, tried to wrestle at a tournament, and then decided that he couldn't do it. His front headlock to a neck crank (now called and Assassin because of Chandler Rogers at OK ST) was so dirty. If you sat on a single leg for a second to long you were on your back. I'm not saying that he would have won his Sr. year, because I think that Boiling Springs kid from his Jr year was going to stay in his weight class that year, but he would have 99% been in the finals that year. Wasn't really a technical wrestler but was mean as a snake on the mat.

• Like 1

Good choice.

I believe Ben Askren popularized the term "The Assassin" for that particular move. Remember watching Jimmy Meetze use it on David Lassiter in an Orange & White Clemson wrestle-off. It was an extremely popular move, although not called "the Assassin," in the Irmo wrestling room throughout the 1980's when you could still get away with knocking a kid unconscious while going for the pin. I succumbed to it more than once... 

Recently (2013) Ellison Sanders was a "lock" his senior year. He had already beaten Maroni from Dorman once towards the end of the season. Sanders has placed every year leading up to his senior year and IMO the kids was destined to win a state title. Sanders pinned and teched his way to the finals. Maroni won 2 close matches to get to the finals. Some how Maroni pulled out the 4-3 victory over Sanders. Still baffled to this day on that one.

If you are talking about 152-160ish Sanders from Hillcrest that won 4A upperstate in 2011 then no. Don't remember that kid's first name, but if it is the guy I'm thinking about IMO he wasn't that good. He played the edge of the mat and didn't do much offensively. He did, however, have great hips and would throw a headlock hiptoss when he had a chance - that is how he won upperstate in 2011, but destined to win a state title I don't think so. 

Hey, I never won state. Although I wasn't ever really all that good either. I did however beat a handful of state champions, then again so have lots of people. I was going to say either J.C. Oddo (Eastside) or Ian Harper (Chesterfield) but it turns out that they found a way to pull it all out a year or two. 

Seriously, being a Lugoff guy (and old, that's important to remember here), Terance Ferchette (I can't spell) never won state (he lost to Bourke I think from Bat. Creek) and then a close match with Travis Drake the following year. Interesting thing, his senior year he had a chance to change weight classes, but had heard that no one had taken Drake down all year, and thought that he could do it. First thing he does in the state finals is take Travis down. That was about it though, he went on to unleash a fury in Travis, and lost 4-2. 

• Like 1

That Ferchette kid was tough, I remember him having some great matches with the DF kids  (was it DiMarco he usually wrestled?) in some epic battles between LE and DF when DF first opened and was 3A. But Drake was a rare talent...

He was tough in practice too. I was tall, lanky, and slow, while he was 4'2" and lightning quick (or immobile, he was pretty good at stalling when he wanted to be). I can't remember most of his actual matches as I was usually behind the bench either recovering or getting ready (depending on the year).

http://www.scmat.com/scmatrecords1 - Individual Four Time State Placers.html

Little list on SCMAT that can add some conversation fodder (insert plug about Mark Buford being our greatest American here) Haven't made it through the list but see a few 4x placers and zero time champs on here. 

A few from the 2000's that I can be added are Anthony Manross, Jake Tubbs (Super 32 runner-up who I believe was hurt his senior year) and Rocky Williams McClure, who were all 3x runner-ups.

• Like 1

Manross and Tubbs - good pickups. I remember watching the upper state match that ended the season for him - pretty darn nasty. He was pretty darn technical for a bigger guy. And Manross - no shame in losing to FD's coach multiple times. He would have won one if he could have gone a weight class lower and probably one weight higher.