As we look to enter a new season, I thought I would throw my list out there to recognize some of SC’s top kids entering the season. Allot of talent graduated last year shaking some things up a bit.... as always just one mans opinion! 

1) Jordan Aluyan- Will be looking to capture his 3rd State Title and I believe he does it without being really pushed. 

2) Bailey Wilkins- Looking to capture his 3rd State Title.... Got to admire his training and commitment in off season. Could we see Wilkins vs Aluyan or J Brown this year?? 

3) Walker Stephenson- I think he is poised to dominate at his weight the next two years. After battling some pretty tough Upper classman in the big boy weights the last few years, things have cleared out for the rising Junior and I see him as the top wrestler above 140lbs in the state. 

4) Joseph Brown- Best is yet to come. Quietly won a State Title last year pretty convincingly and has all the tools to wrestle at next level..

5) Jordie White- Will look to add his name to a pretty prestigious list this year as a 4X State Champion. I hope he accomplishes it. 

6) Kaleem Heard- Was a very impressive freshman. Don’t think he was ever really tested in State. With all small guys love to watch how they develop as they grow.

7) Chase Barnes- Won a State Title at 182 as a sophomore. I see him with W Stephenson as the states top upper weight talent.

😎 R Augustine- Captured State Title as a Sophomore and I believe he collects 2 more on his way out. One of a couple young Eastide studs. 

9) Austin Ross- Would love to see Indian Land wrestle at one of the big in state tournaments like Slam or Clash, see how their top guys match up with 4A,5A Schools. 

10) J Fernicola/C Fleming- Talented young big guys! 

• Haha 1

Doesn't seem like you've been watching too much pre season wrestling Butler......You've listed several that haven't done S*** all off season and several were left off the list that have absolutely worked their tails off. Just totally validated the fact your opinion isn't worth much. Clearly you aren't dialed in. Your list is "okay" but you left off Asa Addison from Pendleton who has done some out of state off season tourneys..... Garrett Starks who has literally competed with the best of the best al over the USA this summer. Don't forget to list incoming freshman Hunsburger who just captured the NUWAY summer national title. Just my thoughts. All great kids but hope no one hangs their hat on your opinions for P4P BC you are way off base buddy. 

Well clearly you are not a fan of my Top 10 Sportsfanatic!! 

First I was prepared to address your post in detail... Then I saw that you plugged/highlighted NUWAY Summer Nationals as a justification to consider a rising Freshman in my P4P ranking....and I realized anything further from me would probably be pointless.  You had me...then you lost me :) The ever increasing multitude of NUWAY National events has certainly watered down the term “ National Tournament”. Super 32, NHSCA, Fargo, Flo, USA Nationals, probably only real National Events. For youth, Tulsa, Liberty. 

That said,  Hunsberger is very good and if this were/If I were to create a list of Top Incoming Freshman, he along with Vargo would be at the top of my list. 

For the record I am a fan /think Addison & Starks are both very good. I couldn’t argue with anyone putting Starks in their Top 10. Starks, Lawson,  Etc are all kids I think you could make an argument for! 

Matt Williams from West oak...Ethington from Eastside...Flyte from blue ridge ... Byars (heard he moved) ... Shiffer from Hillcrest...Putman from mauldin... To name a few others that might be just outside the top 10 but probably on a top 20 list...

On 8/13/2018 at 8:11 PM, TheMasonWay said:

Ethington is TL Hanna? 

Heard of him transferring to Eastside...not in district, of course. Not sure the risk is worth the benefit of an out of district senior esp w everything at FD. Hope they changed either mom or dad’s DL 😂😂. Ethington should add a slight degree of dynamic. But idk where he’s gonna fall in the line up with Maholtz and Augustine boys. Amazing what some will do to “chase a ring.” May be some interesting OPCs over w the Eagles. Ha! Gotta love to hate them!... Byars with WO. Heard both boys will be on the line up for them this year. 

I think people get the motive for these moves confused. I don’t think it has much to do at all about chasing a Ring/State Team Title. I believe in most cases it is the schedule opportunities ( Big events, more regional/national travel,l etc), the practice room ( more elite partners to train with), and coaching that motivates any kid in wrestling to transfer to a program in the majority of cases. 

And my personal feelings on the subject are I’m 100% OK with that under those circumstances. It is very tough for wrestlers to improve without solid coaching and solid partners in the practice room. If your the Very Big fish in a small pond in your practice room....going to be tough to get better. 

I don’t know the kid or anything about the move, but I have to believe if true, he is seeking to better himself by being in a good practice room, with no shortage of partners, and being able to attend events like Beast of East etc. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sportsfanatic said:

Heard of him transferring to Eastside...not in district, of course. Not sure the risk is worth the benefit of an out of district senior esp w everything at FD. Hope they changed either mom or dad’s DL 😂😂. Ethington should add a slight degree of dynamic. But idk where he’s gonna fall in the line up with Maholtz and Augustine boys. Amazing what some will do to “chase a ring.” May be some interesting OPCs over w the Eagles. Ha! Gotta love to hate them!... Byars with WO. Heard both boys will be on the line up for them this year. 

WO should have a solid line up then....

Ethington's family moved into the Eastside area. He went to a camp with my son and while there he and his mom told us his family has moved. Have no reason to doubt it, very nice family!