Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Jim Baxter

Update on lawsuit

Recommended Posts

This is what I am hearing. As of today, the judge has NINE days to make his decision. Again, the decision will be either to dismiss; place injunction and make everyone play last season's schedule; or send it to court. 

I have also heard that it was recommended to go to arbitration but I think that fell through. 

I also heard that Union County has offered to just go back to the 4A classification but the question now is not over JUST Union county; the lawsuit is about the failure to follow proper process during realighnment. 

So..we could STILL potentially see something coming in late. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, utrocket99 said:

JB,

 

whats your best guess as to how this will play out? 

Possibly a dismissal? I'm not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From all I'm hearing, both "parties" are confident that they made their point and that the judge will rule in their favor.  So I guess that means that no one really knows what is going to happen.  I would think that the judge cannot use the fact that it would be difficult to redo all the schedules as a factor in his decision, as that is not a point of law that he is asked to determine.  I would also think that there are plenty of other factors presented that add a lot of flair to the discussion, but will not be factored in the decision.  I think it will come down to some technicality that he decides is the key.  Maybe even something we have not even discussed in this thread or in any discussions among friends.

I don't have anything or anyone directly involved is either side, I just hope this mess with the schedules doesn't cause any school to lose money, or games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who's the bad guy in all this ?....Union co because they broke ? The one's who brought the injunction,aka woodruff and others who are scared to play them in region....I blame the HS league office it self for not following their own rules fo classification...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mikey said:

So who's the bad guy in all this ?....Union co because they broke ? The one's who brought the injunction,aka woodruff and others who are scared to play them in region....I blame the HS league office it self for not following their own rules fo classification...

I don't know that this is a "BAD GUY" in the situation, but I do agree that a lot of, if not all the blame can rest on the shoulders of the SCHSL for not following their own rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RF74 said:

I don't know that this is a "BAD GUY" in the situation, but I do agree that a lot of, if not all the blame can rest on the shoulders of the SCHSL for not following their own rules.

Agreed. Had the high school acted according to their own rules this would not be an issue. The irony is the HSL basically now has to change their own motto haha. 

 

"An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RF74 said:

I don't know that this is a "BAD GUY" in the situation, but I do agree that a lot of, if not all the blame can rest on the shoulders of the SCHSL for not following their own rules.

I think the SCHSL for not following bylaws and being insconsistent in the hearing and granting of appeals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm wonder what that means is the judge taking extra time to rule or did he release his finding and the hsl is to embarrassed about the findings because they got chewed out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be shocked if there were any changes at this point. Rightly, or wrongly, I think that was the plan all along. Drag this thing out as far as possible during the summer. Then let things stand as they are for this school year, and review for the '19-'20 school year. Maybe they throw it all out at the last minute and simply go back to last year's regions schedules, but just don't see it at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Reality said:

I'd be shocked if there were any changes at this point. Rightly, or wrongly, I think that was the plan all along. Drag this thing out as far as possible during the summer. Then let things stand as they are for this school year, and review for the '19-'20 school year. Maybe they throw it all out at the last minute and simply go back to last year's regions schedules, but just don't see it at this point.

I agree with you but it is a dang shame that the league gets away with their arrogant "we don't have to answer to anyone" attitude. That is what is going to eventually get them shut down and the athletics taken over by the state. And that is something no one wants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×